Welcome to the forum

PARIS - NICE 2015 TRAINING WEEKENDS

Comments

• What a difference in weather. 60 mph winds today. Some gusts stronger. Been blowing since 08.00. Etap du dales would have been called off if it was this weekend :-)
  • But we'd have given it a go!
  • Hi Geoff...
    Can't wait till Friday!
    Have you mapped the three routes as gpx files for Garmin?
  • hi Robbie.if you go to my site then I think you can download to Garmin from there. All my mapped routes are available. Only new ones or those unrelated are still locked.

Hoping for good weather. Been windy and some rain but mostly dry and quite a lot of sun...so hopeful.
  • edited June 2015
    O.K. riders, here are the June routes for your perusal.

Day 1....http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/728917485

Day 2....http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/721356061 100 mile

Day 3...http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/702631415 80 mile
  • Hi Geoff
    Can you check the day 1 route. The URL you've posted says 'route not found'...

See you on Friday.
  • I'm travelling up on Saturday morning setting off at 5am. Anticipating a 9.30am start for the ride to give me chance to get a coffee and bite to eat.

Just invested in a new machine (read older gentleman's steed) so looking forward to testing it out!
  • edited June 2015
    And then email the routes to us Shaun! Top fella. Testing the new bike out?

New machine J ? Tell us more
  • Looking forward to seeing you all......Shaun , I have changed the ref. for the ride..the url should work now for Day 1 route.
    New bike too Jeremy...looking forward to seeing this.
  • So Jeremy sorted...John?..........Jane and Tim 2 x single beds available if wanted. Bit Spartan still but keeps the group together.
    Weather brilliant at present..looking good for Friday..Saturday's weather depends on how far the front reaches from the south..Looks like light rain for Saturday and cooler...will probably change before then so fingers crossed.
  • boom... i'll take a bed :-)
  • There's probably enough room in the caravan. I'm going to sleep in my tent again. I think Robbie is doing the same...
  • edited June 2015
    just remember sleeping bag if using mobile home.
    As this is a taster for Paris Nice we will be riding the routes whatever the weather. We do have washing and drying facilities for kit wash and clean but would be wise to bring more kit and waterproofs for Saturday at least.
  • Don't mind the rain - at least light winds. Reckon I might bring bike with disks to handle the wet descents.

Are you still planning to do the long ride on Saturday?
  • yes Jeremy. 105 miles 4500 feet climbing with an easterly wind to blow us home. Should be fun.
  • Sounds epic - I'm gutted I can't make it this month, but it's Velothon Wales this weekend (assuming the locals don't get it pulled first), so hoping to make it up in July. Enjoy the ride- fingers crossed for some good weather, both in Yorkshire and Wales...
  • Thanks Geoff for organising, am looking forward to the trip very much. What do I need to bring? Food, wine, beer? Or do we nip into the town ?

Forecast today looks like it's improving for Saturday no?
  • tim, usually we go to pubs/restaurants for evening food. Lunch and coffee breaks on the routes. Breakfast is your problem so bring cereals or whatever you need. Cutlery etc. in mobile home and extra plates,bowls available as people need. Robbie seems to be on a diet of gallons of cider,everyone else is beer,wine or soft drinks. Biscuits,tea,coffee,sugar,milk provided for start..if you need more then morrisons or co-op is available in Barnard castle (5 miles) no local shops out in the wilds :-)
  • Geoff, I can only view the first route, the other two say 'page not found' ?
  • Tough 55miler with 2000m climbing... 25% plus gradients. Double distance tmw! All smiling!!!
  • edited June 2015
    All packed and ready to hit the road at 5am. Looking forward to tomorrow's ride.

Weather forecast looks better than earlier in the week.
  • All sounds epic. Hope to make one of Geoff,s weekends but this is our anniversary so couldn't make it. So it's a 6am for me tomorrow. Jeremy can tell you how I went for broke in the tour of Yorkshire only to break big time half way round. Panic set in when he came steaming by and I had nothing after riding with the front pack. It was good fun once I got through total panic mode and eventually started to hang on to the chain gangs coming past me. Got my legs back on the bumpiest bit of road thanks to cyclocross.
  • Escaped the rain in Yorkshire. 100 miles on the nose with 1500m of climbing and 17mph. Great route out across to North York Moors. Looking at three ways up Three ways up Tan Hill tomorrow.
  • edited June 2015
    Tough day up North with single digit temperatures and felt like winter on the high tops. Four of us set out on a hilly 50ish. Geoff left us too it at the top of the Stang. Tim, Robbie and I continued to the summit of Tan Hill. Poor planning meant that Tim got separated from the group. Fortunately he returned to Geoff's without incident.

Apart from a return to Winter today a super weekend of social and cycling. Thanks to Geoff for planning the routes and great hospitality.
  • edited June 2015
    great weekend, thanks again Geoff, really awesome!

yesterday i have never been so cold... mitts was a bad choice as the rain drizzled, then the wind picked up, then the chill factor increased, rain became horizontal and was like little needles in my eyes, then I couldn't feel my toes, then my fingers couldn't change gear! so i thought with all this pain & suffering i would go over the Top of Tan Hill, down and back up the other side... just for sh1ts & giggles... why not heh? It was a long, lonely 45 miles .... never been so glad to see Geoff's smiling face with a hot cup of tea & log fire... as Jeremy says above, a slight miss communication - me whizzing past the cafe not realising it was the top of Tan Hill while Jeremy & Robbie waited for me inside ... oops! no harm done just more miles and hills :-)

total for day - 57 miles & 1850 metres of climbing

great training for Paris - Nice... its the back to back hard rides that is definitely the way forward.

back is shot today though :-(

thanks again Geoff :-)

not forgetting the 'Universal Hot Crazy Matrix' ;-)
  • Brilliant weekend. Tough. Tired today... few days rest needed now before Saturday's ride. If this is June, i'd hate to go up Tan Hill and The Stang in Winter. Took a good hour to warm up. Friday and Sunday's hilly rides were harder than the 100 miler. Would have been hard to get on the bike today for another 100 mile ride... welcome to Paris Nice training!
  • Enjoyed it! Thanks Geoff.

I saw you guys crossing the A66 on Sunday. I turned up my car heater a touch as I went past you...

Not forgetting the Killer Whales either :)

Or the 'business plan'...
  • great to have you all up here.....I hurt too and didn't do quite your mileage.
    Just back from a week in Scotland visiting friends not seen for several years...last visit was to Tim Fathers (ashwell tree surgery) been up in Kielder for 11 years for those who knew him. Have found a super training route to Blanchland...hilly and long so will plan a route and post here. Likely to be one of the August rides if it pans out.
    Re-thinking routes after Shaun's comments re. steepness and will try to get long gradual ascents rather than long'ish steep ones. Probably not possible due to terrain but worth a shot.
    See you all for July session I hope. Who is coming???