Welcome to the forum

PARIS - NICE 2015 TRAINING WEEKENDS

Comments

• We're gonna need a load of marshals for the Grand Prix, would be hugely appreciated if you lot were about... Plus, it's gonna be a great day of racing and Neil and Luke are going to win everything. You wouldn't want to miss that...
  • John (FD).understand....you could come up Friday late..get a nights kip and ride Saturday and Sunday...better than nothing.
  • i can possibly do 12-15 but not 19-21
  • edited May 2015
    Riders.....

12-14 June as planned seems the most popular choice.
    So much happening. Probably only a few of us will be going anyway...
  • Thanks Geoff

It's a possibility....it would mean getting there about midnight....travel home from work in London around 7.30pm, grab dinner, drive around 4 hours with a comfort break...would have been up since 5.30am...long day...might have to make do with intervals on those hills closer to home after all!

John
  • Just think it would be good if everyone could do some riding as a group before we go John. Why not try and get up for the August rides. Even 1 day would be good.
  • edited May 2015
    O.K everyone on Paris/Nice training.
    There have been a few hiccups so to confirm......... 3 days Friday 12th to Sunday 14th June. Arrive late morning here.
    I am planning a lumpy 50 miler...a rolling 95 miler for Saturday and a testing 80 miler for Sunday.
    Finalised routes will be posted soon for those with Garmins to load.

July routes will be longer and hillier.

August routes will be 3 consecutive rides of 7000ft , 10000ft and 8000ft of climbing with distances from 80 to 115 miles
    I hope this will set us up for the trip and looking forward to seeing as many as can get here.
  • Geoff - I'd like to join this (June) group for the Fri and Sat. Not Sunday though as I'd like to be here to support the Letchworth Grand Prix

It sounds like your caravan might be full with Paris-Nice riders, so can you suggest a local B&B / YHA / other?

And thanks for cheering us on at Tan Hill on Sunday. Coming over yet another wind-ravaging 'final' brow to see that feed station was an enormous relief. And finding a couple of CCA jerseys in it was just marvellous
  • If I can make it, I will arrive late Friday.
  • also up for a B&B
  • Unfortunately my work diary has changed and I need to be at an all-day meeting in London on Friday 12th.

Need to think about whether it is feasible to come up Friday or early Saturday.
  • Don't worry about b&B as I will have two rooms and 2 single beds available by the time you arrive. Rooms won't be decorated or plastered, but dry and warm. Conditions Spartan, but keeps the group together which is the purpose of these weekends. You are most welcome Jane, think we'll all sleep well after Saturdays ride :-)
    Would be good to see you up here Jeremy, whichever day you come up, though it will be an early'ish start on Saturday.
  • sorted day 2 ride. 98 miles and 4000 ft climbing. A rolling flattish route which will match up to Day 1 Paris Nice.
    Averaged 15mph with 1 stop for lunch at 40 miles. Finishes on a cat 4 climb so interesting. Great day today so had to do it.
    Now, for that lumpy Day 1 ride.
  • O.K. riders, here are the June routes for your perusal.

Day 1....http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/712893173 50 mile

Day 2....http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/721356061 100 mile

Day 3...http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/702631415 80 mile

For your interest I have mapped out Day 2 ride for July. I will ride this one day soon when the weather permits. 2 planned feed stops at Reeth and Tan Hill or Brough. This is a hard day and will be included in Augusts 3 day hard rides weekend.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/722360063

I'll probably put an easy ride day 1 and then a medium ride for day 3.

I have pretty much sorted Augusts rides but will hold off posting them all until we have done July rides

happy studying everyone.
  • What time are you planning to start on the Saturday? I'd like to at least think about driving up on the morning. An early start and empty roads it should be a fairly easy blast up the A1.
  • was hoping for a 09.30 start Jeremy. If the day is fine then we can start later as the ride is reasonably flat and fast. I would hope that 10.00 would be the latest. Hope that works for you.
  • defo coming Friday morning now :-)
  • That's good news Tim. Hoping weather is as good as last time.
    Confirmed riders to date....Robbie, Shaun, Tim, Jeremy (sat/sun), Jane (fri/sat),
    really pleased we will therefore have everyone on the Saturday ride as it is the long one.
    Any more coming?
  • edited May 2015
    Will definitely be up for the Sat/Sun. Looking at travel options but likely will be early morning hack up the A1
  • http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/fullscreen/727909063/

This is a slightly longer and hillier Day 1 route. Depending on weather we will either do this or the first one posted.

Would welcome your thoughts.
  • weather looks great for Thursday so am off to ride this route which is planned for day 2 in July.

www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/722360063

Will report on it if I am still alive afterwards. It won't be a fast one. :-)
  • Report on it anyway!
  • haha...going to try out my new wheels c/o Daniel.....white walled bontrager 23mm tyres with "latex" tubes as recommended by the man. Should be a proper test.
  • Have you got the new Rourke built up yet? Can't wait to see the complete bike.

Looking forward to hearing about the day2 route. Looks like another version of the Etape du Dales! Weather set fair so should be a good one.
  • All the gears, wheels, groupset and accessories Jeremy but the frame is not due till mid July so will be set up for July weekend I hope.

The route is a corker and has me a bit worried since my bike is quite heavy, but going to give it a real shot. Would be easier with other riders to distract me but allows me to struggle without you fit lot seeing me do so :-) It's linking it with 2 other days riding which should be a real test.
  • edited June 2015
    aaarrrrgh...well that was quite a challenge. Hope I can walk tomorrow. The route is probably one of the best I have ever put together but the heavy bike and climbs just about did for me. I hope you will all appreciate the beauty and fabulously quiet lanes but in truth I wasn't enjoying the scenery for the last 30 miles...just wishing it would end. The climb before Buttertubs is harder I think and the descent is both exhilarating and frightening. With both brakes on I was still 70kph. Daniels wheels were perfect and gave me great confidence to descend fast. The ride along the Wharf river to get from Buckden to Hawes is stunning. The climb to Redmire from Reeth is long and hard but beautiful and those who did the Bowes to Reeth via Marske will already know how good that section is.
    All in all a great day out average 12.5mph....snailpace but should improve over the coming months.
    Stops are coffee and cake at Reeth...Lunch at Buckden (good pub) and coffee at Thwaite just before Tan Hill climb.
    Oh, should add the falls at Aysgarth are well worth a short stop..simply stunning.
    Just hope I can face doing the route again in July :-)
  • Sounds like a great day in the saddle and brought back memories of the Etape. Bet you can't wait for that new bike.

Hope you are rewarding yourself with a couple of beers tonight!
  • In the legs Geoff!
  • yup........just to show how insane I've become was considering the possibility of doing the route in reverse...would give it quite a different aspect....suspect the no. of category 2 climbs would increase...going to map it out tonight.
  • edited June 2015
    so clockwise is 3 x cat2, 4 x cat3 and 2 x cat4 climbs totalling some 43 miles of climbing. The other way round is 50 miles climbing, 3 x 2 cat. 5 x cat3, 1 x cat 4 and 2 x cat 5. So tougher both in climb duration and I am certain that from the ascent aspect some of the climbs are more brutal. Maybe we will save this reverse route for August.
    I will leave you all with this happy thought :-)