Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• Well done all, great results again both As and Bs. Awesome ride in the Bs by Lillie, you looked very strong in the front group, not surprised you smashed the final climb.

My race felt like a lot of effort for very little result! Worked really hard to get into and stay in the front group. It split each lap on the leg snapper climb but after the sprint the front half eased and we got back on. I was surprised at the time as they had a 12 second gap in lap 2 so thought the leaders would push on but guess 12 secs is nothing on that final climb and they knew if they dropped us on the middle climb they would smash us on the final climb. Tried to go flat out at the sprint points in the hope of FTS points but no joy. So got to the bottom of the big final climb in the front group and hoping to contest the climb... not a hope, I was out the back straight away with a few other stragglers as the leaders hit it hard.

Was about 15th on the lower slopes but then 3 Czech Wolves riders came past at pace. They had obviously been sheltering in a group back down the road and saved everything for the final climb. It paid off too as they passed most of the lead group, finished 5th 6th and 11th overall and took final climb KOM points too (between the 3 of them they are showing 95 bonus points, some on sprints I guess but most on the climb I think).

Finally I got into a scrap for 19th place and won a moral victory... or so I thought. Lesson.. do your homework as 19th and 20th both worth the same points. And even worse I can see now the guy I beat into 20th had 18 bonus points in addition so scored 37 in total to my 19... so no moral victory after all!

So as I said felt like an awful lot of work for little return. Bonus points are hugely valuable and I got none. But having said that not sure what I could have done differently. I don’t have the outright power to take points at the FTS, FAL sprints and although I climb relatively well (W/kg), not well enough to threaten the top 10 at the front of races like this.

Will do lots of homework before the next race to try and work out if there is a way I can take bonus points as they are so valuable.

Having said all that, absolutely loving this race series. As Matt says it is bonkers, and very tough but great fun.
  • That was a strong ride Stef, looking great and to stay in the front group and still be there at the start of the climb is impressive.
  • Yes a great ride Stef and a good write up too. Agree these bonus points can really make or break. Only 10 finishing points diff between 10th and 60th, but loads for FAL/FTS, especially on a multi-lap race. I guess in this one you just had to be super-strong to really score highly.
  • I'm feeling a bit left out that we've not got an animal or household cleaning product in our team name, like others in our B league. Perhaps something to brainstorm on the next Saturday 5pm TTT practice (all welcome), or Monday social zwift ride.

Nice write-up Stef. And top 20 is amazing.

Looking forward to the next race. It's shorter and flatter I believe.
  • edited January 2021
    Ashwell Armadillos?

Flash + Ashwell = Flashwell? ...Wipes the floor with the competition
  • Flashwell Gordons?
  • Wowzer! What a race!! That was so hard.. well done all! I think I got the fastest sprint female so I presume you’ll get points for that?
  • Stef I saw you with me all the way and you kept me chasing when I felt like slowing so massive thank you for that!
    The last climb was incredibly tough after chasing the break after the leg snapper but like you said stef.. it did always seem to come back. Spent the climb with the two guys that eventually got the upper hand on me.

I think it may have been my last race with you as I have the opportunity to race in the ladies team AEO. Which will be awesome but I’ve loved both the races I’ve been part of Ashwell for!
    Thank you for putting me into the team xx
  • Amazing performance Lillie. On behalf of the Gordons, your wheel will be missed on the start line next race.
  • Yorkshire might be shorter and flatter, but still pretty brutal...
  • edited January 2021
    Not much flatter! Altitude per km is approx same.. 18m/km. Thankfully shorter!

Big Flash Vs Ajax battle for 4th
  • Sounds like a great and well deserved opportunity Lillie, but we will miss you on the CCA teams!
  • Thanks guys! I’ve loved the races I’ve done with you all, brilliant fun. I’ll see how this goes..👍🏻👍🏻
  • Lillie, all the best for the new team and thanks for the master class.

Remember all to put your name down for the "flat" Yorkshire course on Tuesday. We need 12 riders for maximum points, so new riders welcome.

(P.S. B's can always race twice. 😁).
  • Don't be shy people, 12 needed to keep up the great start. If anybody is thinking about dipping their toe, feel free to ask any questions.

I'm down for Tuesday... Maybe not twice!
  • I'm in (b please)
  • edited January 2021
    Can try a double header if needed, did it in IRL for CX once, tough but doable
  • Tuesday - yes please
  • Yes please for Tuesday.
  • I'm in please Matts!
  • It’s my birthday on Tuesday and I’ll be in trouble with the family if I bugger off and race. I’d therefore rather sit this one out if you can pull in other riders.
  • In for Tuesday!
  • I’m in too, yes please.
  • In for Tuesday. Thanks!
  • I’m unfortunately working Tuesday night. If your short on numbers though I’ll see if I can start a little late. I’ll see what I can do. Would be for B race only though.
  • Vince is up for it!... 😉
  • Excellent Vince!

OK. We have 11ish so far. If you count a 1/2 for Graham and a 1/2 for double header Dan. So could be two spots still free.

Perhaps someone out there fancies a team event? It's great fun being part of a team and livening up the lonely Zwift sessions.
  • Yep will try with the Bs as I am still a c cat. What race must I enter?
  • And do I need to add any club/team info?
  • Vince, you will need to be on ZwiftPower and have a racing category...

To connect to ZwiftPower, instructions here.. https://support.zwift.com/en_us/connecting-to-zwiftpower-SyldRc_4H